Monday, November 24, 2008

2005 All Star Classics

Shane Diaz of Shoebox Legends sent me this pack along with a John Smoltz patch recently. Shane has sent these packs to me before, I guess he bought a case of 'em one time. This is a really nice set that flew under the radar when it was first released but holds up well. It has a mix of veterans, rookies and legends in the base set the normal bunch of inserts and parallels and of course hits. Memorabilia cards in one per 12 packs and patch cards numbered to 25. A lack of autographs might have ultimately sunk the set. That just means you can pick it up cheap now. Let's open 'er up.

32 Mark Prior

Mark will be 28 next year, hasn't pitched since 2006 and is a free agent. 2009 is a pretty critical year for ol' Mark.

35 Mike Piazza

I don't mind seeing Piazza in a Mets jersey. He was looking kind of odd in those yellow and green A's unis. He'll be a Hall of Famer in 2013.

MSP-IS Ichiro Suzuki Midsummer Patches #03/25

Wha-wha-WHAAAT?? Holy shnikes!

There's six colors on that patch! The only time you see a patch like that is in fake patch reports on forums and blogs. I gotta send Shane something good. This pull was a bit of a shock to me, here is an approximation of my reaction upon seeing this card:



I was way less coherent than Batman though. That would have been a fun one to get on video.

62 Jason Bay

Who cares about Jason Bay? I wanna look at that patch again.

Dayum! that's a nice patch!

91 Lou Brock

I love the legends in this set. Lou's been really underrated since Rickey danced all over his records in the '80s. The guy had 3000 hits, 900 RBIs and scored 1600 runs. He also hit .391 in the World Series with 14 stolen bases. That's clutch right there.

70 Mark Teixeira

Not even moneybags can spoil this pack. What a freaking hit, I've never pulled a patch like that before. It's pretty obviously a bit off the top of their compass logo. I opened this pack last week but I'm still kind of speechless about it. Go click on Shoebox Legends and, um there's no ads to click, so uh, leave a nice comment or send him something for being generous. Or at least try to get him to trade you one of these packs!

10 comments:

William said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

Umm, holy shit. That's incredible.

deal said...

It's not just the hit either. The pictures on the base cards look pretty darn good too.

darkship said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! you sure you didn't fake that???

shoeboxlegends said...

Wow, that's better than anything I ever pulled out of any of these packs.

Amazingly enough, this pack came from what I believe is a retail box. I bought two of them a year or so ago, completed the base set after opening only one, so I've been sending out the extra packs from the other box in trades.

Glad you got this one!

GCA said...

Nice pull. I've got two boxes of this stuff on the way right now. '05 UD AS Classics has to be one of the nicest designs EVAH....

Jason said...

Awesome patch!

dayf said...

Yeah, that's the thing... If I put that patch up on eBay, I'm sure the calls of FAAAAKE would ring out loudly. I wouldn't believe it myself had I not opened the pack.

GCA said...

Dang! I got my repack boxes and still need #32 and #53! Wanna trade?

The Baseball Card Snob said...

This is a really nice looking set, and what a pull. Fantastic.

I still need 11 25 89 100.

GCA, I checked, don't have yours.